6.8.12

XLIII: Once by the Pacific

This morning I set out with Jim (yes, Jim as opposed to John, who chose to stay home) with the idea of taking him to San Quentin.


But damn it all, we got a bit turned around and ended up somewhat out of our way.


Don't talk to me about my sense of direction, John; I wasn't the one driving, after all. And San Quentin isn't even on this map:


Predictably, we ended up out in the middle of absolutely nowhere, the most boring place to be. Though some of it reminded me of home:

A lookout spot at Point Reyes



And after I pointed out the sunglasses were ridiculous given how cloudy it was:



It's not quite the moors, but . . .


There was a lot of driving involved, then a lot of walking, and for what gain? Not even a spectral dog or government conspiracy to keep me interested. Cows, though. Many, many cows . . .

No, John, I don't have a picture of the cows. Why would I?

There was a ranch, just for her, however:



Then, just for something different . . .


Yes, John, we climbed into a tree. What's that? K-I-S . . . You're sick. You realize that, I hope?

There was a lighthouse, by the by:


Again with the sunglasses.

Not a very big one. And after 308 stairs to get down to it, too.

We did see what supposed experts assured us was a juvenile grey whale. No, John, it was not in the lighthouse; it was down in the water. If it had been in the lighthouse, that might have been a mystery worth looking into.



After walking back up the 308 stairs, we went into a town that calls itself Inverness but has nothing on the real thing (by which I mean Scotland, of course), and had a late lunch at a Czech pub called Vladimir's.

A Czech pub in Inverness? Run by a vampire?

With appropriately bloody decor.


After which we came home over the Golden Gate Bridge:


If only Alcatraz were still an option . . .

No comments: